Monday, February 21, 2011

The Internship part II

So, it has been a long time since I have written anything about my internship. You might have been wondering if I stopped as well ;-). Well, of course I didn’t because that would be very stupid. I still go to my internship 5 times a week, but for a long time it was not that interesting, so I didn’t feel like writing about it.

Since my last post (in the beginning of October) I have had training in the Front Office and Food & Beverage departments. Actually it has not been so much training. I had the feeling that the department heads didn’t really know what to do with me and let me work most of the times on my own. I required training from them, to follow them in their job and assist them if possible, but unfortunately they didn’t want to involve me in many of their tasks or didn’t follow appointments with me. The other problem is that although we are fully booked it is never really busy in the hotel and they have enough staff to cover all the work, so there is not really something I could do either :-( The guests in this hotel only stay here, because of the location (close to the beach and outside the hassle of Kuta) and the nice pool. For a few months it has been quite boring and I started to get really lazy.

Now it is different. As I explained in my previous blog post, students from Stenden Bali (a campus site from my university here on Bali) do their practical training here in Puri Saron, like I have done in the Stenden university Hotel in Leeuwarden (NL). Last year this was done for the first time and it didn’t run that smoothly. Stenden Bali has asked me to help them to improve the program and I have designed a new program for them. Currently the students are doing the module called ‘Rooms Divisions & Facilities’, so they work in the Front Office, Housekeeping, Reservations, Security and Maintenance. In this module every other week 10 students (3 resiters who did the same module last year as well, but didn’t pass) are coming to the hotel and I guide the process. Last week the students came for the first time and the program ran quite smoothly :-). It doesn’t all have to do with my program it’s also because these students are more motivated than the students last year, but I am happy to see everything is running well. The staff here and the lecturers at Stenden Bali are very happy with the program, so I even receive some compliments ;-)

I also write my Business Improvement Plan (kind of thesis) about this project, so at the moment this project has my full attention. Here at Puri Saron they give me complete freedom to work on my project and help Stenden Bali, so the other departmental training I leave for now. It is nice to see these students doing the same as I did 4 years ago and I enjoy the interaction with them. They come from all over the world, with different backgrounds and all have different reasons why they are on Bali.

Next module is also a practice module at Stenden Bali and than the second year students will have their practical module as well. To let those modules run as smooth as this module is doing until now, a lot more preparations are needed. So there are enough challenges that I can face :-) although I honestly doubt if Puri Saron is the right hotel for the longer term. It doesn’t have enough potential to provide training to larger amounts of students, but that is probably going to be one of my conclusions/recommendations :-)

From now I will try to write more about my internship, as that is the main reason why we are on Bali :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment